When Jo was asked what kind of feminist she was she simply said 'a massive one'.
Jo knew that women are stronger when we come together to share stories, hatch plans and forge alliances.
This International Women's Day here are a few things you can do to celebrate Jo's example. If you only do one thing - please share this page with 5 amazing women you know and ask each of them to do one thing from the list.
- Reach out to someone from a different background, perhaps of a different political belief, and #AskHerToStand for public office in the spirit of #MoreInCommon. The 50:50 Parliament Project have lots of ideas to help you and the amazing women you know to get started. They also offer guidance and training every step of the way.
- If you’re a Conservative Party Member Women2Win have a host of events this year including candidate training sessions - sign up!
- If you’re a Labour Party Member why not organise a women’s workshop?
- The Parliament Project is running evening and weekend workshops in London, Manchester, York, Cambridge and Glasgow: or get one organised near you by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why not get more involved by joining one of the Fawcett Society’s local women’s rights groups?
- Learn more about women in leadership by volunteering at the Campaign for Women in Democracy
- 50Sign up for Stonewall’s leadership programme, Stonewall’s flagship programme for senior LGBT people to explore authentic and inclusive leadership
- Become a top campaigner by applying to Campaign Bootcamp’s programme
- Take a stand against online abuse and sign up to Reclaim the Internet
- Connect with amazing women in your neighbourhood by becoming a member of the Women's Institute
- Buy Jess Phillips MP's book Everywoman: One woman's truth about speaking the truth. Read it and give it to one woman you know who can be inspired by her example
- Last year an event was held with the former Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard to celebrate Jo's example and provide advice and practical steps to inspire women to campaign, organise, represent and run for office. Here's the film of the event that you can watch and share with amazing women you know: